State Aid Programs

To help our students pay for college, Mt San Antonio College participates in the following state programs:

To learn more about the application process, visit the Applying for Aid page

BOG Fee Waiver

The California Community College Board of Governors Fee Waiver

Mt. SAC students, like all California community college students, are eligible for the California Community College Board of Governors Fee Waiver (BOGW). The BOGW waives the enrollment fee and provides a reduced cost for health and parking fees for qualified California students. About three-fourths of our students benefit from this program.

Before you apply for the BOGW

• You must be a continuing student at Mt. SAC or have already submitted your application to Mt. SAC.
• You must be a California resident
• You should complete and submit the FAFSA or CA Dream Act application.

How to apply for BOGW

• You may apply for a BOGW at any point during the academic year.
• You must reapply for a BOGW each year, beginning with the summer term.
• If you are determined eligible for a BOGW, it will be valid for the entire academic year.
• Apply by going to the BOGW Application Page

Qualifying for the BOGW

There are three ways a student may qualify for the BOGW. The items listed below are checked and verified through your FAFSA, CA Dream Act, or BOGW application.

  1. A student is currently a recipient of funds from TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families), SSI (Supplemental Security Income), or GA/GR (General Assistance/General Relief), or, if the student is a dependent, such funds are the sole source of income for the family. Students must provide a current copy of their check or an Untaxed Income Verification form.
  2. Household size and annual family income: The application may ask students to provide documentation of income, such as a copy of their Federal Income Tax Return. Students are required to provide documentation if it is requested.
  3. A student has applied for other state and/or federal aid and has demonstrated $1,104 or more of financial need by completing the FAFSA or California Dream Act Application. This is how most students qualify for the BOGW, as most students that do not qualify for a fee waiver based on items 1 or 2. We highly recommend all students to submit a FAFSA or California Dream Act application as this is the most likely way to qualify for the BOGW.

NOTE: Since verification of eligibility may involve contact with other agencies, parental signature, or other documents, your application may not be completed on the same day it is submitted. However, our turn around time is usually within 48 hours.

Maintaining Eligibility for BOGW

Once you’ve qualified for the BOG Fee Waiver, it’s important to ensure that you’re meeting the academic and progress standards in order to avoid losing the fee waiver.

Academic — Sustain a GPA of 2.0 or higher

If your cumulative GPA falls below 2.0 for two consecutive primary terms (fall/spring semesters, or fall/winter/spring quarters), you may lose your fee waiver eligibility.

Progress — Complete more than 50% of your coursework

If the cumulative number of units you complete is not more than 50% in two consecutive primary terms (fall/spring semesters, or fall/winter/spring quarters), you may lose your fee waiver eligibility.

Combination of Academic and Progress Standards

Any combination of two consecutive terms of cumulative GPA below 2.0, and/or cumulative unit completion of not more than 50% may result in loss of fee waiver eligibility.


BOGW Loss Appeal Processing Instructions

  1. Complete the BOGW Appeal Form, select ONE reinstatement circumstance, sign and date the form. Prepare a typed narrative of your situation and schedule an appointment with an Educational Counselor. When making an appointment with a Counselor, let the scheduler know you are requesting a comprehensive education plan or will be updating your current education plan. 
    NOTE: Counseling appointments may take from 10 days - 2 weeks to schedule.
  2. Bring BOGW Appeal Form and narrative with you to your Counseling appointment. If you are a CalWORKs, EOPS, ACCESS, or Veteran student, it is highly recommended that you meet with the appropriate program Counselor.
  3. If you are requesting an appeal for Academic/Progress probation due to “Extenuating Circumstances” such as verified illness, accident or circumstances beyond your control, or documented changes in your economic situation, have your supporting documentation ready. (Supporting documentation are doctor’s notes, accident report, loss of job, etc.) Do not submit your originals, attach copies to your appeal form.
  4. Submit the completed BOGW Appeal Form to the Financial Aid Office with all of the supporting documentation that is indicated on the form based on your appeal reason (Appeal Form, typed narrative, comprehensive education plan, and supporting documentation).  Any missing information will result in your Enrollment Priority/BOGW Fee Waiver Appeal form being rejected by the Appeals Committee.

Note: For additional information on what the BOG Fee Waiver is, please click on the video below: 

Cal Grant Program

Cal Grants are state grants that you don't have to pay back. They can be used at any UC, CSU, or California Community College and at many career and technical colleges in the state. Cal Grants are awarded by the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC). There are eligibility, financial, and GPA requirements that students must meet to qualify for a Cal Grant.

There are three different types of Cal Grants awarded - A, B, and C. The CSAC will determine which grant(s) you qualify for after you apply. They determine this based on the information you provide on your FAFSA and/or CA Dream Act application. To apply for a Cal Grant, you must complete the FAFSA or a CA Dream Act Application and have a Grade Point Average Verification form sent to the CSAC by March 2nd for the upcoming academic school year. To learn more about the qualifications and different Cal Grants, visit the CSAC website

Note: For additional information regarding Cal Grant, please click on the video below:  

California Dream Act

The California Dream Act of 2011 allows students who meet AB540 criteria to apply for and receive certain state and institutional financial assistance programs.

AB 540 students are exempt from paying non-resident enrollment fees, if the student meets all of the following criteria:

  • Attended a California high school for at least three years;
  • Graduated from a California high school, got a GED or passed the California High School Proficiency Exam;
  • Is registered or enrolled at a California community college; AND
  • At Mt. SAC, eligible students must complete, sign and submit to the Admissions and Records Office a California Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request to be considered exempt from Nonresident Tuition.

To apply, students must complete the CA Dream Act Application. For instructions on submitting the CA Dream Act Application, visit our How to Apply for Aid page.

Note: For additional information on learning what the California Dream Act is, please click on the video below:   


Full-Time Student Success Grant

The Full-Time Student Success Grant is a financial aid program for Cal Grant B and Cal Grant C recipients attending a California community college full-time.  The program is designed to encourage students to maintain full-time status.  On top of the $1,672 annual Cal Grant B and $1,094 annual Cal Grant C awards paid at community colleges, the Full-Time Student Success Grant pays full-time Cal Grant B or C recipients an additional $1,000 annually.  All full-time community college students receiving Cal Grant B or C will be offered this assistance, and only full-time students can receive this benefit.

To learn more download the Full-Time Student Success Grant brochure

Note: For additional information on learning what the Full-Time Student Success Grant is, please click on the video below: