Certificate of Completion
The Pet Science Certificate focuses on the proper care and management of various pets. This includes: breed identification and characteristics, grooming, showing, nutrition, practical care, behavior, breeding, and housing. Consideration will be given to the economic influence of the pet industry.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Students will demonstrate knowledge of the various species of pets, pet management systems, and the different industry opportunities associated with the respective species.
- Students will understand the scientific principles of animal production in relation to genetics, reproduction, nutrition, physiology, and environment.
- Students will demonstrate competency in the areas of animal health, disease, welfare and handling and understand how these factors influence animal stress and welfare.
- Students will demonstrate knowledge of the economic influence of the pet industry in today's society.
- Students will be competent with the use of technology and have abilities in the areas of critical thinking and decision-making. In addition, they must have strong oral and written communication skills, and a sense of the importance of responsibility and work ethic.
Review Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs) for this program.